Friday, April 10, 2009

Roast Pork Shoulder Picnic w/ Brining Instructions

My mother-in-law is making a traditional Colombian pork roast for Easter dinner, and I've been asked to brine the pork shoulder. While researching how to brine, I found a recipe that is likely close to how she'll prepare it, knowing her typical spices and ingredients. This recipe looks extremely simple, so worth posting. I've seen some that require a ton of ingredients and prep work, but who needs all that when the family is hungry and you have to cook all your meals yourself to eliminate allergens.

Click for Pork Shoulder Picnic Roast recipe from Timothy Dzurilla.

I shorten the cooking time at 300 because I did a 9 lb roast for less than 9 hours and it was slightly overcooked. I'd say about 8 hours for a 9 lb roast. I'll use the meat thermometer next time.

I learned the pork shoulder picnic is especially tender, more so than the shoulder blade cut - which is probably what I've usually purchased. Brining helps preserve the meat, but also give it deeper and richer flavor.

Information from the Pork Picnic Shoulder on AskTheMeatMan.com here.


No comments:

Post a Comment